We all spontaneously splurge at some point or another. I certainly did on my daughter’s 4th birthday. Though I didn’t partake in her Belle cake during the party, I dug into the leftovers with complete abandon later in the evening. The next morning, guilt-ridden with Belle in my belly and my daughter sleeping in, I hit the gym with vigor. Burn Belle burn!
A post splurge workout requires more time doing cardio than a normal workout does. Though running is my preferred form of cardio, sometimes I like to cross train such as on the morning after Belle when I doubled the amount of time I spent on cardio. Here’s what I did:
20 minutes on the Elliptical doing intervals
- Take 10 minutes to warm up at level 7 or 8 really getting in as many leg rotations as you can (approx 9mph). This part is about speed and elevating your heart rate
- Between 10 and 12 minutes take it up to level 12 for a slower harder climb that will help to tone your leg muscles
- At 12 minutes go back to level 7 for another 2 minutes
- At 14 minutes climb for 2 minutes at level 12 again
- At 16 minutes sprint at level 7 once again for a full 4 minutes until you get to the finish line at 20 minutes
Walk brusquely to the treadmill.
20 minutes on the Treadmill also doing intervals:
- Coast for 10 minutes at 6.8mph to warm up.
- Slow down to 4.8mph for 1 minute
- At 10 minutes, sprint at 8.5mph for 2 minutes.
- Take it back down to 7.5mph for 2 minutes.
- Walk at 4.8mph. for 1 minute.
- Sprint again at 8.5mph for 2 minutes
- Settle at 6.8-7.2mph again for 2 minutes until your 20 minutes expires.
Post Cardio, Abs, and Yoga
Immediately go to the incline. It’s best to keep your heart rate elevated and muscles warm when toning your abs to achieve the maximum lean muscle tone. Here you will mix up your abs and back bending yoga poses which help to keep core muscles from becoming too tight and short.
- 1 set of 25 Military sit-ups at a 45 degree incline (if you have not gotten to 25 yet just do your max)
- Down Dog/Plank/Chatturanga/Up Dog/Down Dog
- Set 2 of military sit-ups
- Down Dog/Chatturanga/ Up Dog/Down Dog/Triangle/Vinayasa to DD
- Reclined Leg Raises Up Down/Side to Side
- Twisting Crunches
- Plank Crunches 10 each side
* View yoga slide shows and pdfs for photos of the above postures and some of the abs. More to be illustrated as well in upcoming videos.