Adapting Your Workouts
Once our bodies adapt to a specific form of exercise, they demand change. Redundant exercise gets boring not only for the mind but also for the body. Have you ever noticed that after you master a workout, your body suddenly rejects that very same routine you’ve been doing for months? Signs that you’ve become overly accustomed to an exercise routine include:
- Fatigue (despite doing a known workout for months)
- Overuse injury
- The loss of the fitness "runner's high"
- I woke up in the mornings exhausted and bored by the thought of running.
- I no longer ran like a graceful gazelle but slogged through Central Park like an overworked mule.
- My body, mind and interest waned, and as a result, rejected the runs I had come to love and rely on to feel good.