Broccoli Tofu Coconut Curry
Serves 1, prep time 20 minutes
- 2 tsps. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/3 block extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, plus a dash or two more if desired for a more intense flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Over medium heat, heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the broccoli to the pan, stirring it at first to coat it with the olive oil. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the tips of the broccoli florets start to crisp. Then, add the water and cover the skillet with a lid for another 20 minutes so that the broccoli can steam (this technique of sauteing and steaming simultaneously allows the broccoli to both crisp and tenderize). Remove the lid and continue to saute the broccoli for another 1-2 minutes, the water is fully absorbed and it’s bright green with crisped edges.
- In a separate pan, heat the sesame oil over high heat. Add the tofu and cook on all sides until golden, rotating with tongs. When the tofu is done, add the broccoli and combine it with the tofu, stirring gently so as not to break or mash the tofu. Add the coconut milk to coat the broccoli and tofu. Turn the heat down to medium. Add the curry powder and turmeric. Mix until everything is evenly and well coated and so the broccoli and tofu can absorb the flavors of the spices. Simmer for approximately 5-minutes, stirring occasionally
- Sprinkle the sea salt over the broccoli and tofu to taste and stir.
- Serve with a whole grain of choice (my favorites are millet, brown basmati rice).