HIIT Workout + Post-Workout Yoga Poses + Low-Fat Pre and Post Workout Power Food!
Even though wellness and a commitment to feeling good are my passion and my life’s work, sometimes the last thing I want to do is get out of bed in the morning. But I always feel better when I push myself to exercise. That’s why I’ve organized some tips to help you get moving on those days when it’s the last thing you want to do. Whether you need a quick routine, a longer workout or a simple stretch to acquire and maintain a terrific summer physique, you can adapt my exercise sessions in multiple ways to suit your schedule and goals.
For hundreds of workouts and yoga practices as well as individual video modules in which I teach you how to do each move safely and correctly, subscribe to the JWM for just $10/month here. No gym or spin class deal is as cheap and easy to access as the JWM online program. Get fit now!
Why You’d Want to Exercise In the Morning:
Exercise conquers bad moods and low energy states. It’s totally worth the time and slug and don’t worry because if you stick with it you will learn to love it!
Furthermore, sweat sessions are most effective when done in the morning because they will help you start your day with a positive attitude. They also rev up all metabolic systems getting your body and mind ready to function at their highest levels all day long!
However you decide to cut it, The American Heart Association and many other national organizations recommend 150 minutes of light to moderate cardio and 75 minutes of vigorous cardio as a minimum for the researched health benefits of working out. That said, they also agree that even a few minutes of exercise a day is better than none.
Working out can seem like drudgery until you get good at it and reap its benefits. Once you hit the key threshold, when your body adapts to the new aerobic demands and begins releasing the “feel-good hormones” called endorphins, you’ll feel the high with which the rest of us exercisers walk around all day! Over time, you will increase your chances of disease prevention and injury.
5 Quick Tips To Get Yourself Ready For A Morning Workout
1. Lay out your clothes the night before and take pride in your workout style. Looking good helps us to feel good!
2. Plan your pre and post workout meals. I recommend a coffee and my extremely simple power banana smoothie for before your workout (give yourself 1 hour to digest) and my oatmeal with cardamom, cinnamon, walnuts and pure maple syrup for after your exercise.
3. Have an amazing play list ready.
4. Know your workout goals.
5. Establish a plan such as your distance, route, time, HIIT moves and post-workout yoga poses the night before.
JWM 5 and 10 minute HIIT Routine
**If you need to take a break between moves feel free to do so–start with 30 second breaks and then close the gap as your body adapts to the routine over time. The idea is to build towards doing all of the moves in in rapid succession without stopping! You can learn how to do each of these moves with my video instruction by subscribing to the JWM here.
1-minute Jump Rope
1-minute Cherry Picker Crawls
1-minute Jumping Jacks
1-minute Side Reaches
1-minute Squat Jumps
Cherry Picker Crawl Steps
1. Stand tall with your legs slightly wider than hip distance apart. Engage your core.
2. Touch your hands to your hips, then shoulders and then extend your arms towards the ceiling. Suck your core in and up as you do this. Without stopping, touch your hips again and walk your hands forward until your body assumes a straight plank pose (like the top of a push-up).
3. In your plank, which you are only holding for 1 second, your hands should be shoulder-width apart, pelvic bowl neutral and legs in full extension. Suck your navel in towards your spine.
4. Walk your hands back in towards your feet. Stand up.
Check out an example of a JWM video modules, in which I teach you how to do a basic Cherry Picker Crawl in the video module here.
*For the 10-minute version of this routine, repeat the moves from the top!
*Want even more? Choose a couple of moves and add a minute to each–for instance do 2 minutes of Jump Rope or Jumping Jacks instead of 1-minute each. Or, do a third round of all the moves!
Post Workout Yoga Poses
*(To learn these poses step-by-step with me on video, subscribe to the JWM here)
Fan Pose A
Side Angle R/L
1 Sun Breath
1 Sun Salute
*This was originally published on MindBodyGreen where you can watch the Cherry Picker video module too!
Tags: workout, HIIT, exercise, wellness, yoga