Serves 2, prep time 10 minutes
- 1 eggplant, cut into rounds and then quarter rounds
- 21/2 tsps. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup fresh San Marzano chopped tomatoes (or an all natural high quality canned tomato sauce such as Rao's)
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. pine nuts
- Heat a non-stick pan with 1.5 tsp. olive oil.
- Sautee the eggplant and onion until golden and soft. Press the eggplant with a spatula to release the oil into the pan as it cooks.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, and pine nuts.
- Let all of the ingredients simmer and cook down together, about 5-minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1 more tsp. of olive oil to the pan and stir.
- Cool the caponata to room temperature.
- Serve (optional: with whole grain or gluten-free crackers).