JWM Health Trivia: Why Is Too Much Sodium Harmful? How Can You Reduce Salt In Your Diet?
Excess sodium interferes with the natural ability of blood vessels to relax and expand, increasing blood pressure—and increasing the chances of having a stroke or heart attack.
How can you reduce sodium?
- Avoid eating processed foods.
- Avoid using table salt–add spice instead.
- Drink water with the allowance of one other drink a day.
- Limit how often you eat out. Restaurants are renowned for using a ton of salt. Especially be ware of salad dressings, sauces and soups!
- Limit meat consumption, especially cold cuts and cured meat.
- Read cereal box labels because many cereals contain more salt than you can imagine!
- If you must eat canned or jarred condiments, choose ones with no added salt.
- Eat veggies such as jicama, carrot and celery sticks with tahini or nut butter and other healthy all-natural snacks.
* For JWM recipes–always healthy and delicious and of course low in sodium–click here to buy now! The JWM also offers day-by-day menus–breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner to help you stick to your diet. Don’t waste time, start eating right today.