Tofu Bowl With Charred Scallions Over Vanilla Infused Rice
Serves 1, Prep Time 20-Minutes
- 1/3-cup white sushi rice
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2/3-cup water
- salt to taste
- 1/3 block extra firm tofu
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 3 scallion strands, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a pot, bring the rice and water to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cut the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds allowing them to fall into the rice.
- Cook until all the rice absorbs the water, about 15-minutes.
- Add sea salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, slice the tofu into thin rectangles, about 1/8-inch.
- In a sautee pan, heat the sesame oil over high heat.
- Test the pan with a sprinkle of water and when it sizzles, add the tofu.
- Cook the tofu until it is golden. Flip and do the same for the other side.
- In a third pan, over medium heat, sautee the scallions in a drizzle of olive oil until it is slightly charred.
- When everything is done, grab a serving bowl, place the rice in the bowl. top it with the tofu and then sprinkle the scallions on top of the tofu.